Skip to main content

Columbus Park Refectory

Not an active site.

Address

5701 W. Jackson Blvd.

Neighborhood

Austin

Architect

Chatten & Hammond, 1923

Description

Designed by the renowned landscape architect Jens Jensen, Columbus Park was officially opened by Chicago's West Park Commission in 1920, part of a major effort to create additional neighborhood parks to serve the tremendous growth in Chicago's population. The Columbus Park Refectory is one of the more spectacular park structures anywhere in the city, presiding over a landscape of water, woods and a public 9-hole golf course. The Spanish-influenced architecture features ornate terra cotta ornamentation, a grand porch, arched entryways and three porticos flooded with sunlight. The large Dance Hall is a favorite for weddings, concerts and special events, with magnificent windows overlooking Jensen’s lagoon.

Archived In

2019